Serves 2 people
1 block extra-firm tofu, sliced into cubes
3 tbsp cornstarch or maizena
1/2 tsp salt,
4 tbsp vegetable oil or any other oil, for frying
2 tbsp minced garlic ( leave a bit ob the side for garnishing)
1 red bell pepper 1 onion
1 lemon, juice
Spring onions for garnishing
- In a frying pan add 2 tbsps of vegetable oil
- Add the minced garlic and toast it until the garlic is golden brown and put aside
- start preparing the sauce
- add 1 tbsp of the toasted garlic you just cooked
- 3/4 cup room temp water
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or maizena
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
Now you start preparing the tofu
- use a tofu press if you have and if not gently squeeze the tofu in paper towels or a napkin
- Once dry, cut tofu into medium sides cubes.
- add salt on the tofu cubes then add the cornstarch to coat.
- In the same frying pan add more oil and fry the tofu cubes
- until you see them golden brown.
Take out the tofu.
- Add some oil then fry the onion and bell peppers until soft.
- Add in the cooked tofu with the onions and garlic
- Mix the sauce well
- Pour the sauce in the tofu.
- Turn up the heat and continue to stir until the sauce starts to thicken.
- cook for 2 min and check the taste, more salt maybe?
Serve with some noodles or wholewheat rice, garnish with the rest of the toasted garlic, spring onions, sesame seeds and add some lemon if you like!