This Roasted Peanuts in Chilli Oil recipe is inspired by the Chinese food brand LaoGanMa. I had the fortune of living in Beijing for several years and hade amazing and real LaoGanMa anywhere I went. Now I don’t live there so, I figured out how to make that amazing taste in the vegan version. I am sure you will love it as well!
- 2 Eggplant or tofu ( this recipe had both)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsps Chinese dark vinegar
- 4 tbsps soy sauce
- 5 peppercorn (Sichuan pepper)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 cup peanuts ( not salty)
- 1 red chili
- 1 small shallot
- chili pepper flakes
- vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Bean paste (optional)
Lao Gan Ma Vegan Sauce
- In a frying pan add 1 tbsp vegetable oil and roast ½ cup peanuts until they turn brownish and set aside,
- Same pan add 4 tbsps roasted chili pepper flakes in the same oil for 1 min (open the windows)
- To finish in a bottle or a cup add the roasted peanuts, the chili flakes, 1 tbsp bean paste (optionam) and 1 cup of oil.
- Mix all and can stay in the fridge for a month
- Wash the eggplants and cut them in medium size cubes if you decide for the tofu option, you can coat them in cornstarch adding some salt and black pepper to taste, then fry them and put aside for the end.
- In a frying pan add 1 tbsp sesame oil and fry the minced garlic, shallot, 1 red chili, and peppercorns until they are brown.
- Then the eggplants with ½ cup filtered water and cover for 2 min ( like this you don’t add too much oil since eggplants love oil)
- When you see the water is consuming add 1- 2 tbsps of your Lao Gan Ma sauce and mix all
- After add 3 tbsps Chinese dark vinegar, 4 tbsp soy sauce, black pepper ( check salt if it needs to add more) and 1 tbsp agave syrup, mix all again and add the tofu at the end to keep the crunchy texture.
Make some noodles or white rice to eat with, you can also garnish with cilantro, chives or sesame seeds.