This recipe is perfect for those who are vegan of course but also for people that are trying to switch to a vegan diet or just want to try a different recipe.
We tend to judge tofu as well, so this recipe is a good idea to try and see how versatile it is.
For the Pie Crust
Quiche pâte feuilletée in anysuper market, (Brands such as Herta, Marie, Carrefour) in France, any other place in the world look for Shortcrust Pastry.
For the Filling:
- 400g FirmTofu
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch ( maizena)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric(Curcuma)
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk ( any milk)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (any oil)
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 240g Mushrooms sliced
- 90g Baby Spinach or regular
- Mixing Bowl
- Frying pan
- Pie dish or round recipient
- Cutting board
- Blender or food processor
Prepare your filling:
- Add the tofu, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, into your food processor. Process until well mixed. Add the soy milk and process again until it reaches a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a pot along with the chopped onion and crushed garlic and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté with the onions until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the chopped baby spinach and sauté until just wilted.
- 4.Now add in your tofu mix from the food processor and fold it in with the mushrooms and spinach.
- Add the filling to your pie crust and smooth it down evenly.
- Place it into the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes until firm and golden on top.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Quiche can be served either warm or cold.